Implementing the Global Revenue chart from Good Charts in R with ggplot2 ūüďä

In order to level up my data visualization skills, I’m going to be attempting to¬†implement¬†well-designed charts that others have created on my own using R and eventually other tools. I’ll be¬†open sourcing¬†the code¬†and sharing any lessons learned along the way.

For the first chart, I grabbed a seemingly simple chart from¬†Scott Berinato’s excellent book, Good Charts: The HBR Guide to Making Smarter, More Persuasive Data Visualizations.

Here’s the chart that I set out to reproduce in R (he created it¬†in Illustrator):

goal.png

Here’s my attempt¬†using R and ggplot2¬†whose code you can find in my new data viz repo on GitHub:

chart.png

There were several tricky aspects of the original chart that presented challenges learning opportunities while implementing it in R:

  • In order to get the chart title, y-axis title, and source aligned with the left side of the chart, I wound up having to use¬†R’s¬†Graphical User Objects aka “grobs”; hat-tip to this SO thread for the idea. It was possible to get pretty close by adjusting the hjust value for the¬†chart title and subtitle, but the grob approach seemed less hacky.
  • Speaking of hacky, I wasn’t able to figure out an elegant¬†way to center the x-axis values between the ticks. I resorted to tinkering with the¬†hjust¬†value, but that just shifts them all to the right by a fixed amount. The problem is that¬†some¬†text like “2010” is wider than other text like “2011” which makes it impossible to get them all centered by shifting them by the same fixed amount. If anyone has a solution to this, I’d love to learn a better way to do it.
  • Removing the tick for the bottom ($0) y-axis value was “fun”: I had¬†to make it transparent because I couldn’t figure out how to remove it¬†completely. Again, Stack Overflow is awesome.
  • From a coding best practices perspective, there were several appearance-related values that had to be used¬†in multiple locations in the code. To avoid duplication, I stored them in variables at the top of the script. It seems strange though having some appearance values stored in variables¬†but others directly in the ggplot2¬†code. Storing all of the appearance values¬†in variables – even the ones only used once¬†–¬†seems like bad practice too though.
  • I couldn’t figure out how to get the ends of the x-axis line to stop at¬†the ticks so they wind up extending beyond them slightly in my version.
  • I’m not sure what fonts Scott¬†used in Illustrator to create this chart, but even if I was 100% sure I don’t want to shell out money to buy custom fonts¬†for this little project, so I used similar ones that were already¬†available on my Macbook (PT Sans Narrow for the title, Proxima Nova for everything else).
  • Towards the end there were diminishing returns trying to get everything pixel perfect so I settled on a 90% good enough solution.

As I recreate more of charts there will undoubedly be “a-ha!” moments that cause me to go back and clean up the code for my¬†old charts. I’ll try to share as many of those lessons learned here¬†as well.