As promised in my 2010, 2011, and a $4K/month challenge post, I’m going to do a quick recap each month of the progress I’ve made with towards achieving that end.
Here’s what happened in January.
Total Sign Ups: 510
Upgrades to Preceden Pro: 18 (3.5%)
Progress: I spent a total of about 5 hours working on Preceden in January, which was split between reverting December’s pricing plan changes and with integrating Mixpanel last week to start getting better insights into how people are using the tool. To date I haven’t spent any time trying to optimize the conversion funnel, which gives me high hopes that I can at least double it with some calculating A/B tests.
Total Sign Ups: 135
Upgrades to jMockups Pro: 0
Progress: I spent a lot of time working on jMockups in January, with a focus on improving the user experience, fixing bugs, and making progress towards launching the new website import tool later this month.
Most of the major changes were covered on the jMockups Blog:
- jMockups Updates – Property Inspector Position, Import Progress, and Bug Fixes (Jan 9)
- jMockups has a Fresh, New Look (Jan 17)
- New Way of Editing Text (Jan 21)
- jMockups User Survey (Jan 22)
- Olark Integration: Say Hi (Jan 23)
- Using Canvas Pixel Caching to Reduce jMockups’ Rendering Time By 80%+ (Jan 28)
jMockups is somewhere in the trough of sorrow right now:
And there’s even been several crashes of ineptitude thanks to some poor QA practices…. so I’m on my way :)
My primary goal in February is to launch the new website import tool, which will let you import any existing website into jMockups, allowing you to redesign and share it in seconds.
Before I launch it (and it’s 95% ready), I want to fix a few bugs, improve a few existing features, and set up some more in depth analytics to prepare for the potential influx of visitors after I launch it. There’s nothing worse than launching an amazing new feature only to have 50% of the new visitors run into a bug that sends them away with a poor taste in their mouth…. except for never launching it at all, I suppose.
According to RescueTime, I spent 120 hours working in January, or about 27 hours/week.
January was kind unique month for me because of how much time I spent on the road for my day job: 11 days completely away from home and another 6 partially away. 27 hours/week is a bit high for me — average is about 20 to 25. The extra hours were only possible because I was traveling and did not have anything else to split my time with.
On New Years Day I began doing daily life tracking, which was inspired by several posts Sebastian Marshall has written on the topic. I’ve been tracking how much I eat out, how much I exercise, how much I spend, my finances, sleep schedule, etc. This deserves its own post, so I’ll save the details for later, but in a nutshell it’s given me some astounding insights into my life (positive and negative) and by making a few minor changes I’ve already had incredible gains from it. I highly encourage you to try it out if you’re looking to improve some aspects of your life (start with Sebastian’s posts).
With that, back to coding.
This is way cool – I love the challenge, and reading about your experiences navigating it, testing, etc. Looking forward to hearing more about how your tracking goes – I’ve gotten massive massive gains from tracking, so hopefully you’re seeing some improvements. Cheers and best wishes.
Just a quick word:
Thanks for being so public about your projects, it’s really motivational to others.